Paul McCartney may finally be returning to Australia for first time since 1993
Photo by MJ Kim, copyright MPL Communications Ltd. -- used by permission

The big wish of Australia's Paul McCartney fans for years that he tour again in the Land Down Under, where he hasn't played since 1993, might finally be coming true. The Melbourne Herald Sun reported June 12 that McCartney is in negotiations for dates in November and December. McCartney representatives didn't answer a request for a comment, but reports say it looks like the shows will be in December and an announcement could come very soon.

McCartney was last actually scheduled to play in Melbourne in 2002, his first shows there in more than a decade, but canceled the show after the Bali bomb blasts. "Like many who have a deep fondness for Australia, I have been shocked and saddened by the recent terrible events in Bali. My heart goes out to all who have been affected by this tragedy. As a mark of respect to both the families who have lost loved ones and to the families of the injured, I have decided to postpone my planned concert in Melbourne as this is not the appropriate time for a rock show," McCartney said in a statement released announcing the cancellation. The Age reported many Australians worked on his road crew. In 1993 McCartney played a string of shows in Perth, Sydney (five shows), Adelaide and Melbourne (two shows), and also Auckland, New Zealand..

The postponement angered Australian fans, who have said they have felt cheated while the former Beatle has played North America, South America and elsewhere multiple times in recent years, but has continually bypassed Australia. His fans there have even created pages on Facebook to vent their feelings. “I'm so fed up now 24 years now without one concert for us here in Aussie but USA and Japan all the way. It's really is the money,” one disappointed fan wrote on Facebook earlier this year.

The Beatles released a new 50th anniversary “Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band” remix done by Giles Martin, son of Sir George Martin, and Sam Okell. The remix was released in several configurations, including a deluxe six-disc box set. According to the latest Billboard magazine, the album dropped one spot to #4 in the latest rankings.