Her heart -- and her show -- will go on.
On August 27, Celine Dion will make her triumphant return to The Colosseum at Caesars Palace for another round of highly anticipated performances. The Colosseum is something like Dion’s home-away-from-home; since her debut performance opened the theater on March 25, 2003, Dion has played an astonishing 927 shows at The Colosseum in Las Vegas.
So there’s sure to be a feeling of comfort when the Canadian superstar takes the stage to resume her residency, which includes 40 concerts between August and January. That familiarity is no doubt important to Dion given the personal challenges she and her family have faced in the past year following the throat cancer diagnosis of husband of 21 years, René Angélil.
In a recent interview with USA Today, Dion said that despite his failing health, Angélil was instrumental in her return to the stage following a year-long hiatus.
"I didn't want to be here at first, I don't need it,” Dion told USA Today. “Don't get me wrong, I love singing for people, but I have priorities”.
"But René really gave me a gift," she continued. "All my grieving, it was during this last year. I think I've got this. For now. When it hits me, it's going to hit me. But my biggest job is to tell my husband, we're fine. I'll take care of our kids. You'll watch us from another spot."
It remains to be seen whether or not René will be healthy enough to attend the show in person but either way, Dion said she expects her performance on Thursday to be emotional.
"That first show, it will be fragile," she told USA Today. "There will be moments. Of emptiness, laughter, awkwardness, tearing up. But that's the point of coming back — otherwise, I just release an album."
Compared to years past, Dion’s show should look quite different for her upcoming residency. In June, she encouraged fans to send in videos for an all-new opening to her show featuring her hit “I Drove All Night.” Ken Ehrlich, the Emmy award-winning producer of the Grammys, will once again direct.
Despite the tough circumstances faced by her husband -- who Dion calls “the only boyfriend I've ever had” -- Celine said that her return to The Colosseum is about supporting him in whatever way she can.
“When you see someone who is fighting so hard, it has a big impact on you," Dion told USA Today. "You have two choices. You look at your husband who's very sick and you can't help, and it kills you. Or you look at your husband that's sick and you say, 'I got you. I got it. I'm here. It's going to be just fine.'”
Watch Dion’s emotional interview with USA Today in the video below and click here for tickets to her upcoming Vegas concerts.